Handycall Construction is a building company based in Denia on the Costa Blanca and we specialise in solving damp problems.
´Damp´ can be caused by bad construction, but sometimes it can be eradicated by following a few simple steps.
Most ´damp´ problems we are called to are actually condensation problems. If mould is showing in your room at a high level, i.e. more than halfway up the wall, and it hasn’t rained recently, then the chances are that it’s condensation.
In the first instance try the following before calling in the experts:
- Make sure you have airflow both into and out of the room at high and low levels.
- Leave doors and wardrobe doors slightly open when possible. If it doesn’t compromise security a slightly open window behind a reja or persiana will ensure good airflow, especially if the house is to be left uninhabited for any length of time.
- Even when the heating is on try to allow the air in the room to circulate. A sure way to cause condensation is to use a mobile heater in a sealed room. This can cause mould spores to form which can create or aggravate existing respiratory problems.
- Insulating ceilings gives protection against both hot and cold weather and can usually be done cheaply and easily. This will make your room more comfortable all year round.
- Inexpensive airbricks installed in strategic areas of exterior walls are a great way to improve circulation. They are cheap, simple can usually be installed in one day.
If all of the above fail to sort out your condensation/damp issues then you may have a more complicated problem. Please feel free to give us a call to arrange free, no obligation survey.