For years the standard media that goes in a sand pool filter is . . . you guessed it SAND. Over the years there have been changes, fads, improvements; however, the one that seems to have stuck is recycled glass media.
Below are some comparisons between sand and glass filters.
Sand will filter to roughly 30 microns.
Some glass media manufacturers state that the glass will filter down to 5 microns
Glass also filters better than sand as the glass is negatively charged and allow smaller particles to cling better than the sand.
Better filtering = cleaner water
Price & Longevity
Sand media costs 12€ per bag (Nov 2017)
Glass media costs 25€ per bag (Nov 2017)
Sand media needs to be changed out every 4-6 years depending on the water and debris load that is going through the filter.
Glass media claims to last forever, which we doubt, however we have seen glass media system that are over 10 years old and still performing.
Glass media requires 20% less media than sand
Glass Media is far superior in longevity and as a result might take the edge in price if you plan to stay in your house a while.
Sand will require longer backwashing to clean the dirt out of the system as there is more volume of media to go through.
Glass media will backwash quicker as the material is lighter and less dense, so it floats better, resulting in faster cleaning. Faster cleaning also means less water usage.
Glass Media is the better option for ease of backwashing.
Sand vs. Glass Media, Which is Better?
Glass seems to be the winner in all basic categories except in price, which makes sense. Better product = more money.
However, if you plan on staying with the house and pool for more than 6 years, glass media is the best choice as you will not have to pay to replace it again. It also saves on water and uses less energy and therefore operating costs are lower. More importantly it cleans the water better.
Sand media will need replacing and if you use a swimming pool services company, you will also have to pay for labour as well.
Why we at Pool Solutions think Glass is Better?
- Performs better than sand (filters to 5 microns versus approx. 30 microns for sand)
- Performing better means cleaner crystal clear water
- Glass media requires 20% less media than sand
- Glass cleans better, for less energy use and reduced pump operating costs
- Uses 25% less back-wash water versus sand (cost saving)
- Excellent for iron and manganese removal at high flow rates (90 GPM)
- Less likely to block or channel than silica sand
- Compatible with coagulants and metal removers
- Captures skin cells, blood cells and 70% of all bacteria
- Safer to use than traditional Sand Media – contains no crystalline silica for better lung protection when changing media
- Grains are smooth, amorphous, and have a higher attraction strength than sand media
- Will not permanently trap bacteria in cracks
- Can last 10 years or longer, much longer than sand at 4-6 years
For more information about filters or if you have any questions about any of our pool maintenance solutions, please contact